Choosing the RIGHT Lawyer
Lawyers are business people who provide a service rather than sell a product. Unfortunately in today’s competitive business environment, those services have become highly commoditized because of the intense competition. The effect of that competition and commoditization is that often, lawyers never meet with their clients who are purchasing homes. So who does all of the work; gather information; and closes your purchase transaction? Usually, it’s lawyers’ legal assistants, which may not be a bad thing, but they’re not licensed to give legal advice. Often, lawyers never meet their clients who are buying a home. That to us is a bad thing.
Here are some Helpful Hints about hiring a lawyer:
- Talk to a lawyer before agreeing to retain his or her services, not just the legal assistant
- Describe to the lawyer what it is that you will be doing, when, and where
- Ask the lawyer to provide you with a reasonable estimate of his or her fee, and the related legal expenses or disbursements that you could expect to pay
- Ask the lawyer if he or she will meet with you when it is time to sign all of the papers
- If the lawyer doesn’t ask you any questions, ask him or her if there is anything that he or she wishes to know
- Don’t hire a lawyer only because his or her fee is lower than the other price quotes that you receive
- Remember, you will retain a lawyer to provide you with legal advice, not just to process paperwork.
Domus Financial Corporation is proud to work with a number of experienced, knowledgeable and professional lawyers. We would be pleased to refer any one of them to you.